Inspired by two wonderfully creative souls, Megan and her 30 day Geek Out Challenge in August and Alyssa and her own 30 day challenge in October I felt it was about time after a year of writing to challenge myself to write daily for a month around a variety of fandom based topics and questions. I watched enviously and with appreciation in awe as a wide variety of authors and creators committed in August to posting daily on these types of challenges and promised myself when I felt I could commit I would undertake this challenge.
Megan has created a fun set of questions to answer that whilst not probing the inner depths of your soul and moral convictions, thankfully, do present a fun challenge to address your inner fandom that covers a vast swathe of interests and areas of discussions. The premise is fairly straightforward, each day you answer one of the 30 set questions as a daily post with as much detail and scope as you see fit. There is no pre-set format or length requirement, its as you wish.
My own, personal preference for this challenge is to write approximately 1,000 words per post on the subject at hand. I do tend to write more on a standard entry but in terms of attrition and sustainability, I feel this is a nice amount without burdening the reading public who will have a significant amount of content coming their way from myself in November. Maybe a few pictures as well should the mood inspire, I do like a good mix of visual aids to work along side the written word, it works for me and this is my space to show my creative side.
Below are the questions I will be tackling in November, as and when I tackle the questions I will link back to them in one easy to read place. Do check out Megan’s original post and challenge as it made for a great red in August, and hopefully, if all goes well, I will have some interesting and meaningful answers to present.
30 Day Geek Out Challenge Prompts
- Day 1 – What was your first fandom?
- Day 2 – What is your most recent fandom?
- Day 3 – What was your favourite convention experience?
- Day 4 – What was your worst convention experience?
- Day 5 – What is the geekiest thing you’ve ever done?
- Day 6 – What real life geek inspires you?
- Day 7 – What fandom do you love that you didn’t think you would?
- Day 8 – What geeky hobby do you have?
- Day 9 – Favourite animation (or animation series)?
- Day 10 – Favourite movie (or movie series)?
- Day 11 – Favourite manga or comic book series?
- Day 12 – Favourite video game (or video game series)?
- Day 13 – Favourite book series?
- Day 14 – What super-power would you like to have?
- Day 15 – What Hogwarts House are you in?
- Day 16 – What crossover would you like to see?
- Day 17 – Favourite video game soundtrack?
- Day 18 – What character would you like to meet in real life?
- Day 19 – What series is underrated?
- Day 20 – What series would you recommend to anyone?
- Day 21 – How did fandoms influence you and your life?
- Day 22 – Favourite fandom quote?
- Day 23 – Something you love about the geek community?
- Day 24 – Something you want to improve about the geek community?
- Day 25 – Favourite geeky youtuber?
- Day 26 – Favourite Disney Movie?
- Day 27 – Favourite superhero?
- Day 28 – Favourite movie soundtrack?
- Day 29 – You’re an anime/cartoon character now! What outfit are you always wearing?
- Day 30 – Most obsessed-over fandom?
If you want to join in or take on the 30 day challenge yourself, Megan’s first post is a great place to start which has the questions listed. I have tweaked question nine to suit a non-anime watcher to ‘animation’ so if you want to answer the questions in its entirety then be aware of that change. Otherwise, look forward to the challenge and hopefully will come out the other side ready for Christmas.
If you’ve enjoyed reading this blog please ‘like’ the Around The Bonfire Facebook page and contribute your own stories and comments, and share my blog and Facebook posts (this is really important – it’s how we reach more readers!). Alternatively join us in the Twitter Universe for a take on the latest gaming news or Instagram for a wealth of gaming pictures and stories.